Vehicle theft affects thousands of people each year and can be very traumatic for those who fall victim to such events.
At Tradewise Insurance Services we aim to respond to your theft claim as swiftly as possible, however please take a moment to read over the below recommendations which may help protect you from a loss occurring.
Protect yourself from vehicle theft, dos and don’ts.
- Do remove all keys from the vehicle whenever you leave the vehicle at any time, even if you are only going to be away from the vehicle for a short time.
- Do ensure the vehicle is locked when using a remote device to secure the same by checking door handles.
- Do ensure that all windows are correctly closed and that there are not any personal effects left on show.
- Do ensure the keys for any vehicle are kept in a secure location and away from any door, window, letter box or other area where unfettered access could be gained.
- Do not hand the keys to your vehicle to any persons other than those named on the Certificate of Insurance for any purpose.
- Do not hand the keys to your vehicle to any persons who may wish to test drive your vehicle (checking first of course that you or they have the correct insurance coverage for this) until you are also seated inside the vehicle.
- Do not allow any persons to test drive any of your vehicles unaccompanied.
- Do ask for evidence of the driving licence of any person wishing to test drive your vehicle.
- Do retain the name given and any contact telephone or other details of prospective purchasers. We would recommend calling any telephone number provided before the scheduled meeting to ensure it is genuine.
- If asked to produce vehicle keys and asked for a demonstration that these operate all vehicle locks they should, do not
provide the keys to any persons to perform checks themselves do demonstrate this to them yourself.
- If possible do perform test drives with a family member, friend or colleague.
- Do arrange to meet in a public place and if possible during day light hours.
- Do set the route for the test drive, preferably in populated areas, and a time limit for the same.
- Do not allow any persons to test drive your vehicle if you have any concerns about the legitimacy of their intentions.
- Do not leave your vehicle unattended or insecure whilst in the process of being viewed by a prospective purchaser.